active exhaust valve

Where the ugly sisters can hang out

Moderators: BGA, Argentum

active exhaust valve

Postby mungass on Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:07 pm

any one wired open the active exhaust valve on their 12 ? ,just done the twin headlight on high beam mod I saw on the usa buell forum after nudging 3 roos at 4am on the way to work,works a treat but cut and reconected the wires, pins wouldn,t release. Me Hawke muffler is still comin and I want a note,hearing bad and good about doing the valve.removed the flapper on me old 07 FLHT and never looked back,matter a fact a dealer done it when me pipe broke under warranty 2. cheers Jed :thumbsup:
mungass
Rides a Buell

Re: active exhaust valve

Postby stellio78 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:21 pm

stellio78
Hoon

Postby mungass on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:32 am

yeah thats where I first saw it as well,but if you look at the big bad and dirty forum a lot of people are against it saying it causes em to run lean and loss off mid range power so not sure whether to do it :idea: :?: :?:
mungass
Rides a Buell

Postby Jack on Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:36 pm

Yesterday I visited my friendly Harley mechanic who has owned an '06 Ulysses, to show off my new one. He fitted a factory aftermarket exhaust with chip to his, while his neighbour, who bought one at the same time and couldn't get the aftermarket one, found that tying the valve open allowed the bike to roll on and off throttle more smoothly. He believed the factory chip could cope with the change of exhaust flow but didn't mention any change of mid range etc power.
Born to be MILD
Jack
Wheelies the Buell in 1st

Postby mungass on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:03 pm

thannx. I did it anyway and
rode it on a 160km return trip and found it ran heaps better,han an intermittent sstutter at top gear cruise before,now its gone :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: also
mungass
Rides a Buell

Postby Lazza on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:17 am

Is this what ya want Turdy??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lazza
ol' rollin' eyes

Postby turdin8tor on Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:33 am

Is this what ya want Turdy??

that it is

thnx
Try not.
Do, or do not.
There is no try.

-Jedi Master Yoda
turdin8tor
THE MESSIAH

Postby Jack on Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:38 am

Cable tied the exhaust valve open on mine recently and noticed a bit of difference. It also sounds better.
Born to be MILD
Jack
Wheelies the Buell in 1st

Postby turdin8tor on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:36 am

angle grinder before and after the baffles, knock them out with a mallet, weld it shut (make sure you know how to weld first)

if you can handle a welder, it only takes a morning, and the DDFI3 retuned pretty good. now it's bit crap below 2000rpm, but it's fine through the mid and top end.

i'm gonna get the ebr kit and tune it properly eventually, but it's not pinging or running rough.
Try not.
Do, or do not.
There is no try.

-Jedi Master Yoda
turdin8tor
THE MESSIAH

Postby yool on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:54 am

I gutted the original exhaust on my uly, using that photo above. I cut the rear completely off as everyone else does.
At the front, i cut from each side with a hacksaw, just enough to cut the two tubes off, kind of left the centre pipe and the middle of the muffler intact. Made it easier to weld up again and keep everything straight.
I have an '07 with DDFI-2, so it ran veery lean, but sounded OK.

Watch out when fitting after-market cans to a ULY, I've since installed a buell race muffler, and they were never offered for a Uly. I couldn't understand this, cause the motors should be exactly the same. After I fitted it, I jumped on to go for a ride, and the bloody side-stand hit the LHS Outlet.
That's the only reason it won't fit......the ULY side-stand is a coupla inches longer than the lightning, cause of the extra height. I think Micron had a separate part no for the ULY, maybe for the same reason.
So, if you look at after-market, check the side-stand clearance!
Everything Sounds Simple as long as you say it Fast
yool
THE PHANTOM

Postby Bueller on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:10 pm

Micron tips on the Uly version are way up high. The RH tip of a normal one would snag in the belt of the Uly. Until you came up for the ride I didn't realise that the sidestand was the issue with the Race on Uly. I knew that the Muffler and the ECM were listed as not suitable for a Uly.
Bueller
Buellaholic

Return to Ulysses Corner